In the spirit of documenting changes that are obvious, but only in retrospect I want to go over a new versioning scheme that I am adopting for Bvckup. Its executive summary is -
No more dotted version numbers.
In other words, “Bvckup 184.108.40.206” becomes “Bvckup 2, revision 37” …or thereabouts.
Just a quick post to share something that seems obvious in retrospect, but took a while to notice and fix.
A mailing list for those wanting to follow Bvckup and Bvckup 2 progress has been up and active over a year now. Subscribing to the list triggers a typical confirmation email with a link that needs to be clicked on. The odd thing was that a good half of those subscribed never bothered to do that.
So last month, after receiving a small rush of sign-ups from betali.st I decided to put things in order and run a bit of A/B testing. Good thing I did.
Simply changing the email subject from this
increased the number of completed subscriptions from 51% to 82%.
The original subject read like… well… a confirmation rather than something that requested an action and people simply did not bother even opening an email. A simple but costly oversight that took me almost two years to realize.
There is a thread for that: